Established in the Fall of 2008, the Department of Surgery is dedicated to excellence in improving the health of those we serve by providing an outstanding environment for undergraduate medical education, exceptional residency training program in Surgery, and a venue for innovative continuing medical education. Vision & Goals The Department of Surgery strives to be one of the most outstanding academic departments of Surgery in the region and a center of excellence in innovative surgery, research, and surgical education. Goal 1: Train our medical students with the highest level of professionalism in patient care Goal 2: Familiarize them with the specialty, giving them a competent basic education in Surgery, while encouraging research at every level Goal 3: Create and maintain a curriculum that will expose our residents and students to all surgical subspecialties through our academic affiliated institutions Goal 4: Recruit the best faculty and supporting them in their pursuit of excellence in patient care, research, medical education, and technology Research The Department of Surgery is committed to patient care and innovative research. We have physicians and scientists who have made significant contributions to the understanding, and advancement of science, craft, and art of surgery. Current research in the department focuses on translational research. Translational research is defined as research that is taken from the labs and brought directly into use with the patients. It is the melding of research with patient care. We are building an infrastructure that would connect basic science work to clinical investigations. This task involves the mobilization of interdisciplinary resources and collaboration of physicians and investigators at different clinical practice locations. Since the inception of our department in 2008, we have established a strong collaboration with the Biomedical Engineering department at the FIU School of Engineering. This collaboration has already produced a number of investigational new drugs and techniques in the field of molecular imaging and therapy. Today, close collaboration between our physicians and scientists enables us to provide patients with the best care available while working to discover more-effective techniques and strategies to manage surgical problems. Clinical The Department of Surgery maintains and nurtures an environment conducive to faculty development, the advancement of research, and clinical and scholarly activities. Faculty members are recognized for their contributions to numerous articles published in peer-reviewed journals and their leadership roles in local, national, and international societies and organizations. Recent articles put out by the faculty focus on current treatments and relevant patient cases, including published works on the history of the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery, a tribute to Dr. Edward E. Mason, Laparoscopic Distal Pancreatectomy in Laparoscopic Gastrointestinal Surgery, and a low-interaction automatic 3D liver segmentation method using computed tomography for selective internal radiation therapy.
- Alkhoury, Fuad, Associate Professor
- Arenas, Juan, Assistant Professor
- Barroso, Eduardo G., Assistant Professor
- Ben-David, Kfir, Professor
- Bologna, Marco, Assistant Professor
- Boneva, Dessislava, Assistant Professor
- Calisto, Juan, Assistant Professor
- Carrillo, Eddy, Professor
- Catino, Joseph, Assistant Professor
- Cockburn, Mark, Assistant Professor
- Cohen, Stephen, Associate Professor
- Davare, Dafney, Assistant Professor
- Deleon, Gwendolyn, Assistant Professor
- Derosimo, John, Assistant Professor
- Dylewski, Mark, Assistant Professor
- Fridman, Juan Arturo, Assistant Professor
- Garcia, Lisardo, Temporary Associate Professor
- Ghaznavi, Amir, Assistant Professor
- Gomez, Mario, Assistant Professor
- Gonzalez Ramos, Michael, Temporary Assistant Professor
- Gonzalez, Anthony, Temporary Assistant Professor
- Gonzalez, Pedro, Assistant Professor
- Gulec, Seza Ali, Professor
- Guleserian, Kristine, Professor
- Hranjec, Tjasa, Assistant Professor
- Jacobs, Moises, Temporary Associate Professor
- Jimenez, Ramon, Associate Professor
- Kelly, Michael, Assistant Professor
- Kiffin, Chauniqua, Assistant Professor
- Knight, Colin, Assistant Professor
- Lee, Seong, Assistant Professor
- Levene, Tamar, Assistant Professor
- Lombillo, Juan, Temporary Assistant Professor
- Lozada Jr, Jose, Temporary Assistant Professor
- Madhukar, Joel, Assistant Professor
- Mangione, Todd, Temporary Assistant Professor
- Mautner, Starr, Assistant Professor
- Mcclure, Shawn, Associate Professor
- Medina III, Miguel, Assistant Professor
- Mendez, Jane, Professor
- Mesko, Thomas William, Associate Professor
- Montero, Jose, Instructor
- Morejon, Orlando, Assistant Professor
- Paramo, Juan, Associate Professor
- Pereda, Juan, Assistant Professor
- Perez Jr, Ramiro, Temporary Assistant Professor
- Perlyn, Chad, Temporary Associate Professor
- Pigneri, Danielle, Assistant Professor
- Plasencia, Gustavo, Professor
- Puente, Ivan, Temporary Assistant Professor
- Rabaza, Jorge, Temporary Assistant Professor
- Rosenthal, Andrew, Assistant Professor
- Salhi, Saoussen, Assistant Professor
- Sanchez, Rafael, Assistant Professor
- Schild, Frederick, Professor
- Seetharamaiah, Rupa, Temporary Assistant Professor
- Stewart, Allan, Associate Professor
- Tershakovec, George, Temporary Assistant Professor
- Tranakas, Nicholas, Temporary Assistant Professor
- Udelsman, Robert, Professor
- Urbandt, Jorge, Temporary Assistant Professor
- Verdeja, Juan Carlos, Temporary Associate Professor
- Viamonte III, Manuel, Assistant Professor
- Whitehead, John, Assistant Professor
- Xu, Xiaoti, Assistant Professor
- Young, Geoffrey, Assistant Professor
- Zinner, Michael, Professor
select organization publications
2019Results and challenges of Cytochrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6) testing in an ethnically diverse South Florida population. MOLECULAR GENETICS & GENOMIC MEDICINE.
2019Outcome Analysis of Surgical Stabilization of Rib Fractures in Trauma Patients. JOURNAL OF ORTHOPAEDIC TRAUMA. 33:3-8.
2018Impact of elution impurities on DOTA and NOTA labeling with two commercial Ge-68/Ga-68 generators. JOURNAL OF RADIOANALYTICAL AND NUCLEAR CHEMISTRY. 317.
2018Quantification of rib fractures by different scoring systems. JOURNAL OF SURGICAL RESEARCH. 229.
2018Is First Rib Fracture a Culprit or a Sign of Injury Severity? It Is Both. JOURNAL OF ORTHOPAEDIC TRAUMA. 32.
2018The Impact of Trauma Center Patient Volume on Observed/Expected Mortality: Does Size Matter?. AMERICAN SURGEON. 84.
2018Traumatic Deaths during the Functional Years: Working Toward Sustainable Prevention. AMERICAN SURGEON. 84.
2017Squamosal Suture Synostosis: Incidence, Associations, and Implications for Treatment. JOURNAL OF CRANIOFACIAL SURGERY. 28:1179-1184.
2017The G60 Trauma Center: A Future Consideration?. AMERICAN SURGEON. 83:547-553.
2016F-18-FLT Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography Imaging in Pancreatic Cancer: Determination of Tumor Proliferative Activity and Comparison with Glycolytic Activity as Measured by F-18-FDG Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography Imaging. MOLECULAR IMAGING AND RADIONUCLIDE THERAPY. 25.
2016I-124 PET/CT in Patients with Differentiated Thyroid Cancer: Clinical and Quantitative Image Analysis. THYROID. 26:441-448.
2016The Effectiveness of a Worksite Lifestyle Intervention Program on High-Risk Individuals as Potential Candidates for Bariatric Surgery: My Unlimited Potential (MyUP). POPULATION HEALTH MANAGEMENT. 19:368-375.
2016Turkish Ministry of Health, 2nd Turkish Medical General Assembly Clinical Oncology Study Group Report. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF BREAST HEALTH. 12:9-17.
2015Proliferative and Glycolytic Assessment of the Whole- Body Bone Marrow Compartment. MOLECULAR IMAGING AND RADIONUCLIDE THERAPY. 24.
2015Does unit designation matter? A dedicated trauma intensive care unit is associated with lower postinjury complication rates and death after major complication. JOURNAL OF TRAUMA AND ACUTE CARE SURGERY. 78:920-927.
2015Liver Resection for Metastatic Disease After Y90 Radioembolization: A Case Series with Long-Term Follow-Up. ANNALS OF SURGICAL ONCOLOGY. 22:467-474.
2014Non-pigmented melanoma with nodal metastases masquerading as pyogenic granuloma in a 1-year old. JOURNAL OF PEDIATRIC SURGERY. 49.
2014A Low-Interaction Automatic 3D Liver Segmentation Method Using Computed Tomography for Selective Internal Radiation Therapy. BIOMED RESEARCH INTERNATIONAL.
2013Single-incision cholecystectomy: a comparative study of standard laparoscopic, robotic, and SPIDER platforms. SURGICAL ENDOSCOPY AND OTHER INTERVENTIONAL TECHNIQUES. 27:4524-4531.
2013Yttrium-90 Microsphere-selective Internal Radiation Therapy With Chemotherapy (Chemo-SIRT) for Colorectal Cancer Liver Metastases An In Vivo Double-Arm-Controlled Phase II Trial. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ONCOLOGY-CANCER CLINICAL TRIALS. 36:455-460.
2012A 3-D Liver Segmentation Method with Parallel Computing for Selective Internal Radiation Therapy. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY IN BIOMEDICINE. 16:62-69.
2012A prospective study of safety and satisfaction with same-day discharge after laparoscopic appendectomy for acute appendicitis. JOURNAL OF PEDIATRIC SURGERY. 47:313-316.
2012AN ACCURATE 3D LIVER SEGMENTATION METHOD FOR SELECTIVE INTERNAL RADIATION THERAPY USING A MODIFIED K-MEANS ALGORITHM AND PARALLEL COMPUTING. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF INNOVATIVE COMPUTING INFORMATION AND CONTROL. 8:6515-6538.
2012An algorithm for PET tumor volume and activity quantification: Without specifying camera's point spread function (PSF). MEDICAL PHYSICS. 39:4187-4202.
2012Routine Same-Day Discharge After Acute or Interval Appendectomy in Children A Prospective Study. ARCHIVES OF SURGERY. 147:443-446.
2011Early cannulation prosthetic graft (Flixene (TM)) for arteriovenous access. JOURNAL OF VASCULAR ACCESS. 12:248-252.
2011The prognostic value of functional tumor volume and total lesion glycolysis in patients with colorectal cancer liver metastases undergoing Y-90 selective internal radiation therapy plus chemotherapy. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF NUCLEAR MEDICINE AND MOLECULAR IMAGING. 38:1289-1295.
2010Hepatic Structural Dosimetry in Y-90 Microsphere Treatment: A Monte Carlo Modeling Approach Based on Lobular Microanatomy. JOURNAL OF NUCLEAR MEDICINE. 51:301-310.
20092009 EANM parathyroid guidelines. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF NUCLEAR MEDICINE AND MOLECULAR IMAGING. 36:1201-1216.
2009Biological Factors, Tumor Growth Kinetics, and Survival After Metastasectomy for Pulmonary Melanoma. ANNALS OF SURGICAL ONCOLOGY. 16:2834-2839.
2016Response to 'Letter to the Editor': The Clinical Value of 124 I PET/CT Imaging in Thyroid Cancer. THYROID. 1142-1143.
2017A Concise Atlas of Thyroid Cancer Next-Generation Sequencing Panel ThyroSeq v.2. MOLECULAR IMAGING AND RADIONUCLIDE THERAPY.
2017Genomic Profiling of Thyroid Nodules: Current Role for ThyroSeq Next-Generation Sequencing on Clinical Decision-Making. MOLECULAR IMAGING AND RADIONUCLIDE THERAPY.
2017I-124 Imaging and Dosimetry. MOLECULAR IMAGING AND RADIONUCLIDE THERAPY.
2017Radioactive Iodine Remnant Ablation: The Beta-knife Completion Thyroidectomy. MOLECULAR IMAGING AND RADIONUCLIDE THERAPY.
2017The Art and Science of Thyroid Surgery in the Age of Genomics: 100 years after Theodor Kocher. MOLECULAR IMAGING AND RADIONUCLIDE THERAPY.
2016Turkish Ministry of Health, 2nd Turkish Medical General Assembly Clinical Oncology Study Group Report. JOURNAL OF BREAST HEALTH.
2016Y-90 Radiomicrosphere Therapy for Colorectal Cancer Liver Metastases. SEMINARS IN NUCLEAR MEDICINE. 126-134.
2015Robotic Inguinal Hernia Repair. JOURNAL OF SURGICAL ONCOLOGY. 310-314.
2010Maintaining vascular access: the management of hemodialysis arteriovenous grafts. JOURNAL OF VASCULAR ACCESS. 92-99.