Dr. Ahmed is the Founding Chair of the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and has served from 2004-2012. He established Research & Evaluation units in response to emerging public health needs, at the Indiana State Department of Health, and the Epidemiology, Biostatistics & Prevention Research Core through the Meharry-Vanderbilt University Alliance. Dr. Ahmed served as founding President of the Council of Epidemiology Chairs & Directors (CEC), an international organization with mission is to provide forums for the exchange of ideas in epidemiology and to share strategies for effective leadership in the academic environment and address emerging public health issues.
Dr. Ahmed has been recognized as a successful researcher and teacher. He is a four-time recipient of the American Association for Cancer Research & NCI’s Faculty Scholar in Cancer Research Award. As a national level recognition of an effective teacher, he was inducted into the Association of School of Public Health/Pfizer Teaching Excellence Academy in 2010.
Dr. Ahmed’s background is in social epidemiology and intervention development. He has national and international experience in intervention development, program evaluation, and research. He has been the principal investigator of several research projects involving cancer, cardiovascular diseases, school health, smoking, and physical activity. He co-developed with Prof. Marian Zeitlin a 3-Stage Behavioral Trial Model utilizing the Positive Deviance Research Concept. This model with the concept has been applied in intervention in several countries.
Currently, his research focuses on chronic disease, cancer epidemiology, health disparities, intervention development, and evaluation.
- Health Disparities; Cancer Epidemiology, Intervention Development
Scholarly & Creative Works
Works By Students
chaired theses and dissertations
- Quesada, Danielle, A Model for the Association Between Attention-deficit/ hyperactivity disorder and obesity: effects of physical activity, Sedentary Behavior, Gender, and Medication 2018
- Chang, Catherina, Prevalence and Determinants of Overweight and Obesity in Preschoolers in Miami-Dade County 2017
- Belcon, Michael C, Determinants and Disparities of Survival in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Patients: A Population-Based Retrospective Longitudinal Cohort Design Utilizing the Cox Proportional Hazard Analytical Model 2015
- Llau, Anthoni, The Impact of Red Light Cameras on Injury Crashes within Miami-Dade County, Florida 2015
- Nasar Ahmed
- https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7503-7092 (confirmed)
publication subject areas
- Computer Science
- Education & Educational Research
- General & Internal Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Operations Research & Management Science
- Pharmacology & Pharmacy
- Public, Environmental & Occupational Health
- Science & Technology - Other Topics
- Women's Studies