Dr. Alejandro Arrieta is a health economist and faculty member in the Department of Health Policy and Management at Florida International University (FIU). Before he joined FIU, he held a faculty appointment at the Indiana University Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health, Indianapolis. Dr. Arrieta has been consultant to the Pan American Health Organization and the Inter-American Development Bank on several projects on quality of care, primary care and disaster risk reduction in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Dr. Arrieta has an active research portfolio in health policy and global health, exploring the effect of health care financing and organization on utilization and quality of care. For example, how physician incentives affect the utilization and quality of care, how the organization of hospitals and payers affect the provision of preventable care, or how health reforms have changed the role of the private sector in health systems in Latin America. Dr. Arrieta has a special interest on maternal care quality, its assessment, and how financial and non-financial incentives affect maternal care outcomes.
Dr. Arrieta has also served as principal investigator, co-investigator and consultant in several studies assessing the economic evaluation of healthcare programs. Those studies include financial incentives to change smoking behavior, technological devices to improve self-control of hypertension, care management programs to improve diabetes control, retrofitting projects to improve hospital safety, etc.
He also leads Healthcare Management Americas, an FIU initiative to build capacity and research on quality, risk management and patient safety in Latin America.
- Value of Healthcare and Utilization and Quality of Care
Scholarly & Creative Works
Other Scholarly Work
principal investigator on
- FIU Updated REST Application in Excel and KAP Assessment awarded by Pan American Health Organization 2020 - 2022
- Intergovernmental Agreement for Ryan White Part A HIV Health Support Services awarded by Palm Beach County Community Services Dep 2018 - 2022
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of SMART Hospitals in Four Caribbean Countries awarded by Pan American Health Organization 2015 - 2019
- ROI Calculator for Reimbursement of Self-Measured Blood Pressure Monitoring awarded by American Medical Association 2016 - 2017
- Evaluating the Cost-Benefit of a Contingency Management Intervention to Reduce Smoking among Pregnant Women in Indiana awarded by U.S. Department of Health & Human Servic 2014 - 2017
- Evaluating the Cost-Benefit of a Contingency Management Intervention to Reduce Smoking among Pregnant Women in Indiana awarded by Indiana State Department of Health 2013 - 2014
co-principal investigator on
- Alejandro Arrieta Herrera
- Alejandro Arrieta
- https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7628-8894 (confirmed)