- Dr. Alejandro Arrieta is a health economist and faculty member in the Department of Health Policy and Management at Florida International University (FIU). Before he joined FIU, he held a faculty appointment at the Indiana University Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health, Indianapolis. Dr. Arrieta has been consultant to the Pan American Health Organization and the Inter-American Development Bank on several projects on quality of care, primary care and disaster risk reduction in Latin America and the Caribbean. Dr. Arrieta has an active research portfolio in health policy and global health, exploring the effect of health care financing and organization on utilization and quality of care. For example, how physician incentives affect the utilization and quality of care, how the organization of hospitals and payers affect the provision of preventable care, or how health reforms have changed the role of the private sector in health systems in Latin America. Dr. Arrieta has a special interest on maternal care quality, its assessment, and how financial and non-financial incentives affect maternal care outcomes. Dr. Arrieta has also served as principal investigator, co-investigator and consultant in several studies assessing the economic evaluation of healthcare programs. Those studies include financial incentives to change smoking behavior, technological devices to improve self-control of hypertension, care management programs to improve diabetes control, retrofitting projects to improve hospital safety, etc. He also leads Healthcare Management Americas, an FIU initiative to build capacity and research on quality, risk management and patient safety in Latin America.
2020Moderating effect of partner smoking on pregnant women's intention to stop smoking: applying the reasoned action approach. ADDICTION RESEARCH & THEORY.
2019Health System Approaches Are Needed To Expand Telemedicine Use Across Nine Latin American Nations. HEALTH AFFAIRS. 38:212-221.
2018Trends in Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Childhood Asthma in Miami, Florida: 2005-2013. JOURNAL OF IMMIGRANT AND MINORITY HEALTH. 20.
2018The birthweight toll of mining pollution: evidence from the most contaminated mine site in the Andean region. BJOG-AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF OBSTETRICS AND GYNAECOLOGY. 125.
2017Association Between Modifiable Risk Factors and Pharmaceutical Expenditures Among Adults With Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease in the United States: 2012-2013 Medical Expenditures Panel Survey. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION. 6.
2017Implications of Coronary Artery Calcium Testing for Treatment Decisions Among Statin Candidates According to the ACC/AHA Cholesterol Management Guidelines A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. JACC-CARDIOVASCULAR IMAGING. 10:938-952.
2017Output congestion leads to compromised care in Peruvian public hospital neonatal units. HEALTH CARE MANAGEMENT SCIENCE. 20:157-164.
2017Risk attitudes in medical decisions for others: An experimental approach. HEALTH ECONOMICS. 26:97-113.
2016Asthma in schoolchildren in Monroe county, Florida: school-based needs assessment. JOURNAL OF ASTHMA. 53:330-338.
2016Economic Impact of Moderate-Vigorous Physical Activity Among Those With and Without Established Cardiovascular Disease: 2012 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION. 5.
2016Financial Dependence of Young Adults with Childhood ADHD. JOURNAL OF ABNORMAL CHILD PSYCHOLOGY. 44:1217-1229.
2016HEALTH CARE AND THE CONTRIBUTION PRINCIPLE OF US HEALTH CARE. REVISTA LATINOAMERICANA DE DERECHO SOCIAL. 23.
2016Non-elective C-sections in public hospitals: capacity constraints and doctor incentives. APPLIED ECONOMICS. 48:4719-4731.
2015Over-utilization of cesarean sections and misclassification error. HEALTH SERVICES AND OUTCOMES RESEARCH METHODOLOGY. 15.
2015Cost sharing and hospitalizations for ambulatory care sensitive conditions. SOCIAL SCIENCE & MEDICINE. 124:115-120.
2014Cost-Benefit Analysis of Home Blood Pressure Monitoring in Hypertension Diagnosis and Treatment An Insurer Perspective. HYPERTENSION. 64:891-+.
2013The Impact of the Massachusetts Health Care Reform on Unpaid Medical Bills. INQUIRY-THE JOURNAL OF HEALTH CARE ORGANIZATION PROVISION AND FINANCING. 50:165-176.
2021Review: Type 2 diabetes in Latin America and the Caribbean: Regional and country comparison on prevalence, trends, costs and expanded prevention. PRIMARY CARE DIABETES. 352-359.
- Value of Healthcare and Utilization and Quality of Care
principal investigator on
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of SMART Hospitals in Four Caribbean Countries awarded by Pan American Health Organization 2015 - 2019
- ROI Calculator for Reimbursement of Self-Measured Blood Pressure Monitoring awarded by American Medical Association 2016 - 2017
- Evaluating the Cost-Benefit of a Contingency Management Intervention to Reduce Smoking among Pregnant Women in Indiana awarded by U.S. Department of Health & Human Servic 2014 - 2017
- Evaluating the Cost-Benefit of a Contingency Management Intervention to Reduce Smoking among Pregnant Women in Indiana awarded by Indiana State Department of Health 2013 - 2014
- PHC6063-RVC: Health Policy Database Applications I Fall Term 2019
- PHC6148-RVC: Strategic Planning for Healthcare Organizations Fall Term 2019
- PHC6160-U01: Public Health Budgeting and Financial Management Spring Term 2019
- PHC7095-UHA: Advanced Methods for Health Systems Research Spring Term 2019
- Alejandro Arrieta Herrera
- Alejandro Arrieta
- https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7628-8894 (confirmed)
Recent publications and grants in Scholars@FIU
publication subject areas
- Biomedical Social Sciences
- Business & Economics
- Cardiovascular System & Cardiology
- Health Care Sciences & Services
- Public, Environmental & Occupational Health
- Radiology, Nuclear Medicine & Medical Imaging
- Respiratory System
- Science & Technology - Other Topics