2018Swimming abilities of juvenile estuarine fishes: implications for passage at water control structures. WETLANDS ECOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT. 26.
2018Seasonal presence and potential influence of humpback whales on wintering Pacific herring populations in the Gulf of Alaska. DEEP-SEA RESEARCH PART II-TOPICAL STUDIES IN OCEANOGRAPHY. 147:173-186.
2017A comparison of diver vs. acoustic methodologies for surveying fishes in a shallow water coral reef ecosystem. FISHERIES RESEARCH. 189:62-66.
2017Detecting a nearshore fish parade using the adaptive resolution imaging sonar (ARIS): An automated procedure for data analysis. FISHERIES RESEARCH. 191:190-199.
2017Estuarine Plume: A Case Study by Satellite SAR Observations and In Situ Measurements. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON GEOSCIENCE AND REMOTE SENSING. 55:2276-2287.
2017Estuarine fish behavior around slotted water control structures in a managed salt marsh. WETLANDS ECOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT. 25:299-312.
2017Influence of oceanographic conditions on abundance and distribution of post-larval and juvenile carangid fishes in the northern Gulf of Mexico. FISHERIES OCEANOGRAPHY. 26:526-541.
2017Predator identity and time of day interact to shape the risk-reward trade-off for herbivorous coral reef fishes. OECOLOGIA. 183:763-773.
2017Surveying the distribution and abundance of flying fishes and other epipelagics in the northern Gulf of Mexico using airborne lidar. BULLETIN OF MARINE SCIENCE. 93:591-609.
2017The Evolution of Lateralization in Group Hunting Sailfish. CURRENT BIOLOGY. 27:521-526.
2016Are spatial and temporal patterns in Lynn Canal overwintering Pacific herring related to top predator activity?. CANADIAN JOURNAL OF FISHERIES AND AQUATIC SCIENCES. 73:1307-1318.
2016Diel variation in the vertical distribution of deep-water scattering layers in the Gulf of Mexico. DEEP-SEA RESEARCH PART I-OCEANOGRAPHIC RESEARCH PAPERS. 115:91-102.
2016Examination of Winter Circulation in a Northern Gulf of Mexico Estuary. ESTUARIES AND COASTS. 39:879-899.
2016Investigating the Effect of Tones and Frequency Sweeps on the Collective Behavior of Penned Herring (Clupea harengus). EFFECTS OF NOISE ON AQUATIC LIFE II. 875:391-398.
2015Effects of Slotted Water Control Structures on Nekton Movement within Salt Marshes. MARINE AND COASTAL FISHERIES. 7:177-189.
2015Habitat differences in the feeding ecology of red snapper (Lutjanus campechanus, Poey 1860): a comparison between artificial and natural reefs in the northern Gulf of Mexico. ENVIRONMENTAL BIOLOGY OF FISHES. 98:811-824.
2015Not So Fast: Swimming Behavior of Sailfish during Predator-Prey Interactions using High-Speed Video and Accelerometry. INTEGRATIVE AND COMPARATIVE BIOLOGY. 55:719-727.
2015The reaction of a captive herring school to playbacks of a noise-reduced and a conventional research vessel. CANADIAN JOURNAL OF FISHERIES AND AQUATIC SCIENCES. 72:491-499.
2015Tidal and diel variations in abundance and schooling behavior of estuarine fish within an intertidal salt marsh pool. HYDROBIOLOGIA. 753:149-162.
2014Diel Littoral-Pelagic Movements by Juvenile Bluegills in a Small Lake. TRANSACTIONS OF THE AMERICAN FISHERIES SOCIETY. 143:796-801.
2014Regional differences in the age and growth of red snapper (Lutjanus campechanus) in the US Gulf of Mexico. FISHERY BULLETIN. 112:261-273.
2014School density affects the strength of collective avoidance responses in wild-caught Atlantic herring Clupea harengus: a simulated predator encounter experiment. JOURNAL OF FISH BIOLOGY. 85:1650-1664.
2013REGIONAL VARIATION IN MERCURY AND STABLE ISOTOPES OF RED SNAPPER (LUTJANUS CAMPECHANUS) IN THE NORTHERN GULF OF MEXICO, USA. ENVIRONMENTAL TOXICOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY. 32:434-441.
2012Challenges for Implementing an Ecosystem Approach to Fisheries Management. MARINE AND COASTAL FISHERIES. 4:496-510.
2012The Dynamics of Coordinated Group Hunting and Collective Information Transfer among Schooling Prey. CURRENT BIOLOGY. 22:1213-1217.
chaired theses and dissertations
principal investigator on
- From aggregations to individuals: Exploring migrating deep sea scattering layers through multiscale-multimode technologies in the Gulf of Mexico awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2018 - 2020
- Estimating the Absolute Abundance of Red Snapper in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2017 - 2019
- Integration of acoustic methods for assessing fish spawning aggregations and associated habitat using goliath grouper as a model species awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2015 - 2019
- Developing acoustic classification methods for reef fish species in the Gulf of Mexico, southeastern US coast, and US Caribbean Sea awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2017 - 2019
- Depredation mortality associated with catch-and-release angling on offshore Permit (Trachinotus falcatus) spawning aggregations in the Lower Florida Keys, USA awarded by Bonefish and Tarpon Unlimited 2018 - 2019
- Spawning Habitat and Early-Life Linkages to Fisheries (SHELF) awarded by U.S. Department of the Treasury 2016 - 2019
- Examining the status and distribution of reef fish spawning aggregations in the Southeast Florida Coral Reef Initiative (SEFCRI) Region awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2016 - 2018
- Ecology of Forage Fishes in the Arctic Nearshore awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2016 - 2018
- Fishery-Independent Surveys of Reef Fish Community, Size, and Age Structure off Northwest Florida awarded by U.S. Department of the Treasury 2015 - 2018
- Framework for mobile deployment of the ZOOplankton Visualization and Imaging System (ZOOVIS) and Dual-frequency IDentification SONar system (DIDSON) awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2014 - 2017
- HRM - Non lethal sampling: In situ estimation of juvenile herring sizes awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2015 - 2017
- Ecology of Forage Fishes in the Arctic Nearshore awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2015 - 2016
- Examining the status and distribution of reef fish spawning aggregations in the Southeast Florida Coral Reef Initiative (SEFCRI) Region awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2015 - 2016
- Examining the status and distribution of reef fish spawning aggregations in the Southeast Florida Coral Reef Initiative (SEFCRI) Region awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2014 - 2016
- Role and function of coastal lagoon and nearshore habitats for dominant fishes: Evaluating the potential for impacts of climate change and anthropogenic alterations awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2013 - 2016
- HRM-Non lethal sampling: In situ estimation of juvenile herring sizes awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2013 - 2016
- Analysis of acoustic data from Deep Water Horizon awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2013 - 2016
- OCEAN INFLUENCES ON THE OCCURRENCE AND ABUNDANCE OF BILLFISHES IN THE GULF OF MEXICO awarded by McDaniel Charitable Foundation 2012 - 2015
- Examining the effects of offshore marine mining activities on Norton Sound red king crab habitat - Phase 2 awarded by Alaska Pacific University 2015
- Recovering humpback whales and the future of Alaska¿s hatcheries, fisheries and coastal communities. awarded by University of Alaska Fairbanks 2014 - 2015
- Development of Methods to Assess Fish Biomass and Community Structure in Louisiana's Artificial Reef Sites awarded by Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fis 2012 - 2015
- Importance of reef complexity on the distribution of reef-associated fishes: contrasting natural and restored reefs awarded by Loxahatchee River District 2014
- SEED Funding: Is what you "see" really what you get?: Developing an acoustic baseline for the ecology and management of coral reef fish species awarded by FIU Division of Research 2013 - 2014
- Evaluating the effect of water control structures on the accessibility of critical nursery habitats for ecologically and economically important estuarine nekton? awarded by Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fis 2011 - 2013
- Preserving Navigation Access for the War Fighter- Development of an Acoustic Marine Life Watch System to Support Corps Channel Maintenance and Enhancement Activities awarded by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers 2012 - 2013
- Red snapper and reef community dynamics on natural and artificial habitats in the northern Gulf of Mexico: Are Louisiana's shelf-edge banks the center of abundance and historical natural refuge for the Gulf of Mexico's most valuable reef fish? awarded by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2011 - 2012
co-principal investigator on
- DEEPEND: Deep-Pelagic Nekton Dynamics of the Gulf of Mexico awarded by Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative 2015 - 2018
- BSC3941-B51: Biological Sciences Research Internship Fall Term 2019
- BSC6913-B51: Student Research Lab Fall Term 2019
- BSC6913-B51: Student Research Lab Spring Term 2019
- Kevin Boswell
Recent publications and grants in Scholars@FIU
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Biodiversity & Conservation
- Cell Biology
- Environmental Sciences & Ecology
- Geochemistry & Geophysics
- Imaging Science & Photographic Technology
- Life Sciences & Biomedicine - Other Topics
- Marine & Freshwater Biology
- Remote Sensing
- Science & Technology - Other Topics
- Water Resources