2016DOGEN. BUDDHIST WORLD. 550-563.
2015Ideal Time and Utopian Space in the Chan Pivot Experience. JOURNAL OF CHINESE PHILOSOPHY. 42:454-476.
2014Does Even a Rat Have Buddha-Nature? Analyzing Key-Phrase (Huatou) Rhetoric for the Wu Gongan. JOURNAL OF CHINESE PHILOSOPHY. 41:250-267.
2004Koans in the Dogen tradition: How and why Dogen does what he does with koans. PHILOSOPHY EAST & WEST. 54.
2003Ch'an Buddhist Kung-ans as models for interpersonal behavior. JOURNAL OF CHINESE PHILOSOPHY. 30.
1998Motion and emotion in medieval Japanese Buddhism - The link between motion and emotion. JOURNAL OF CHINESE PHILOSOPHY. 25.
2007Sites and rites: sacred space in Asia. MATERIAL RELIGION. 283-286.
2014Ishii Shudo's Contributions to Dogen Studies Examining Chinese Influences on the Kana and Kanbun Texts. JAPANESE JOURNAL OF RELIGIOUS STUDIES. 387-404.
2011Not So Quiet on the Eastern Front: On Deconstructing and Reconstructing Traditional Zen Narratives. RELIGIOUS STUDIES REVIEW. 157-164.
2010Yes! We Have No Buddha-Nature Three Recent Publications on Zen Dialogues. JAPANESE JOURNAL OF RELIGIOUS STUDIES. 367-376.
2008A Day in the Life Two Recent Works on Dogen's Shobogenzo "Gyoji" [Sustained Practice] Fascicle. JAPANESE JOURNAL OF RELIGIOUS STUDIES. 363-371.
2008From Art of War to Attila the Hun: A critical survey of recent works on philosophy/spirituality and business leadership. PHILOSOPHY EAST & WEST. 126-143.
2007A critical survey of works on Zen since Yampolsky (Philip Yampolsky). PHILOSOPHY EAST & WEST. 577-592.
chaired theses and dissertations
- Prostak, Michaela Leah, Monstrous Maternity: Folkloric Expressions of the Feminine in Images of the Ubume 2018
- Richko, Rebecca L, Social and Economic Factors Influencing Japanese Women's Decision about Childbearing in Post-Bubble Japan 2016
- Jamass, Maria M, Images and Perceptions of Muslims and Arabs in Korean Popular Culture and Society 2014
- Romeu, Maria Gabriela, The Japanese History Textbook Controversy Amid Post-War Sino-Japanese Relations 2013
- Avila, Sandra, Buddhism and its relation to women and prostitution in Thai society 2008
principal investigator on
- Japan Foundation Grant - Institutional Support - YR 4 awarded by Japan Foundation 2016 - 2017
- Tokyo: High City and Low City awarded by National Endowment for the Humanities 2015 - 2016
- Japan Foundation Grant - Institutional Support awarded by Japan Foundation 2015 - 2016
- Japan Foundation Grant - Institutional Support awarded by Japan Foundation 2013 - 2015
- Staff Expansion awarded by Japan Foundation 2009 - 2011
- Staff Expansion. awarded by Japan Foundation 2008 - 2009
- ASN5932-RVD: Special Topics in Asian Studies Fall Term 2019
- Steven Heine
Recent publications and grants in Scholars@FIU
- Area Studies
- Arts & Humanities - Other Topics
- Asian Studies