- Ranu Jung holds the Wallace H Coulter Eminent Scholar endowed Chair in Biomedical Engineering at Florida International University where she is Professor and Head of the Department of Biomedical Engineering since 2011. She served as Interim Dean of the College of Engineering and Computing from 2015 to 2017. Previously she was a member of the faculty at Arizona State University and University of Kentucky. Jung is at the cutting edge between engineering and neuroscience, developing devices that lead to scientific advances with clear pathways to clinical application. Of special interest to her are biohybrid systems that merge biologically inspired technologies with humans for recovery and restoration of lost function. A champion for innovation and entrepreneurship her team developed the first wireless, implantable, neural-interface system for restoring sensations to amputees and received FDA approval to conduct a first-in-human trial. Jung was named a Fellow of the Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) in 2020. Her other honors include the FIU 2016 Outstanding Faculty Torch Award, 2012 Top Scholar award, 2011 New Florida Scholar’s Boost Award, 2002 Kentucky Science and Engineering Award, Whitaker Foundation Young Investigator Award, NIH National Research Service Award, AHA NE Ohio Research Fellow and appointment as commissioner, Arizona Biomedical Research Commission. Holder of 8 U.S. patents, 4 pending, founder of one R&D Company, past-President of the “Organization for Computational Neurosciences, Inc”, her publications include an edited book – Biohybrid-systems:Nerves, Interfaces and Machines, and over 130 research articles and book chapters. She serves as Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Springer Encyclopedia of Computational Neuroscience, Associate Editor of Annals of Biomedical Engineering, and on the Editorial board of Bioelectronics in Medicine. Jung is a Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors, Senior Member of IEEE and Society of Women Engineers, and elected to the International Women’s Forum. She received her Doctoral degree and Masters in Biomedical Engineering from Case Western Reserve University, USA and her Bachelors with Distinction in Electronics & Communication Engineering from National Institute of Technology, Warangal, India.
2019Restoring Ventilatory Control Using an Adaptive Bioelectronic System. JOURNAL OF NEUROTRAUMA.
2017Mechanical fatigue resistance of an implantable branched lead system for a distributed set of longitudinal intrafascicular electrodes. JOURNAL OF NEURAL ENGINEERING. 14.
2017Rehabilitation Research at the National Institutes of Health. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL MEDICINE & REHABILITATION. 96:211-220.
2017Rehabilitation Research at the National Institutes of Health Moving the Field Forward (Executive Summary). REHABILITATION PSYCHOLOGY. 62:387-396.
2017Rehabilitation Research at the National Institutes of Health: Moving the Field Forward (Executive Summary). NEUROREHABILITATION AND NEURAL REPAIR. 31:304-314.
2017Rehabilitation Research at the National Institutes of Health: Moving the Field Forward (Executive Summary). AMERICAN JOURNAL OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY. 71.
2017Rehabilitation research at the National Institutes of Health: Moving the field forward (Executive Summary). ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY. 29:110-119.
2017Use of Mueller matrix polarimetry and optical coherence tomography in the characterization of cervical collagen anisotropy. JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL OPTICS. 22.
2016Bio-lnspired Controller on an FPGA Applied to Closed-Loop Diaphragmatic Stimulation. FRONTIERS IN NEUROSCIENCE. 10.
2015A system and method to interface with multiple groups of axons in several fascicles of peripheral nerves. JOURNAL OF NEUROSCIENCE METHODS. 244:78-84.
2015Effects of spinal cord injury-induced changes in muscle activation on foot drag in a computational rat ankle model. JOURNAL OF NEUROPHYSIOLOGY. 113:2666-2675.
2014A functional model and simulation of spinal motor pools and intrafascicular recordings of motoneuron activity in peripheral nerve. FRONTIERS IN NEUROSCIENCE. 8.
2013Accelerating locomotor recovery after incomplete spinal injury. ANNALS OF THE NEW YORK ACADEMY OF SCIENCES. 1279:164-174.
2013Decoding motor intent from simulated multiple longitudinal intrafascicular electrode recordings. BMC Neuroscience. 14:P201.
2013Joint-specific changes in locomotor complexity in the absence of muscle atrophy following incomplete spinal cord injury. JOURNAL OF NEUROENGINEERING AND REHABILITATION. 10.
2012Development of less invasive neuromuscular electrical stimulation model for motor therapy in rodents. JOURNAL OF SPINAL CORD MEDICINE. 35:162-169.
2012Differential contributions of somatic and dendritic calcium-dependent potassium currents to the control of motoneuron excitability following spinal cord injury. COGNITIVE NEURODYNAMICS. 6:283-293.
2011Modulation of inhibitory strength and kinetics facilitates regulation of persistent inward currents and motoneuron excitability following spinal cord injury. JOURNAL OF NEUROPHYSIOLOGY. 106.
2017An IC-based controllable stimulator for respiratory muscle stimulation investigations. 2017 39TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE IEEE ENGINEERING IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY SOCIETY (EMBC). 1970-1973.
2014Information on Ankle Angle from Intramuscular EMG Signals during Development of Muscle Fatigue in an Open-Loop Functional Electrical Stimulation System in Rats. REPLACE, REPAIR, RESTORE, RELIEVE - BRIDGING CLINICAL AND ENGINEERING SOLUTIONS IN NEUROREHABILITATION. 529-536.
2013A multi-lead, multi-electrode system for neural interface-enabled advanced prostheses. 29TH SOUTHERN BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING CONFERENCE (SBEC 2013). 109-+.
2013Analysis of Neuromuscular Control in Young and Older individuals during Lateral Stepping. 2016 32ND SOUTHERN BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING CONFERENCE (SBEC). 67-68.
2013Design and development of hand-opening and pinch force sensors. 29TH SOUTHERN BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING CONFERENCE (SBEC 2013). 167-+.
2013Simulating Recordings from Intrafascicular Electrodes to Facilitate Decoding Algorithm Development. 29TH SOUTHERN BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING CONFERENCE (SBEC 2013). 49-+.
2013Specific overground walking kinematic measures are related to degree of spinal injury in the rat. 2016 32ND SOUTHERN BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING CONFERENCE (SBEC). 165-166.
2012Lower extremity muscle activity patterns during lateral (frontal) side stepping task modulation from different heights. PROCEEDINGS OF THE ASME SUMMER BIOENGINEERING CONFERENCE, PTS A AND B. 1057-1058.
2017Rehabilitation Research at the National Institutes of Health: Moving the Field Forward (Executive Summary) (Reprint from American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, vol 96, pg 211, 2017). ARCHIVES OF PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND REHABILITATION. 795-803.
- Neural Engineering, Computational Neuroscience, Sensorimotor Integration
principal investigator on
- CRCNS:US-French Research Proposal: Improved Selectivity for Bioelectronic Therapies with Intrafascicular Stimulation awarded by National Institutes of Health 2018 - 2022
- Restoring Sensation With a Neural-Enabled Prosthetic Hand System for Home Use: a First-in-Human Study awarded by U.S. DOD/Defense Advanced Research Proj 2017 - 2020
- SoftHand and ANS-NEPH Systems: Integration and Testing awarded by U.S. DOD/Defense Advanced Research Proj 2017 - 2018
- Eminent Chair. awarded by Wallace H. Coulter Foundation 2004 - 2018
- A Naturalistic Investigation of Brain Neuroplasticity in Children Born Pre-Term awarded by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation 2016 - 2018
- CRCNS: Computation-Enabled Adaptive Ventilatory Control System awarded by National Institutes of Health 2013 - 2017
- A Naturalistic Investigation of Brain Neuroplasticity in Children Born Pre-Term awarded by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation 2015 - 2016
- Neural-Enabled Prosthese with Sensorimotor Integration awarded by National Institutes of Health 2011 - 2016
- Effective and Reliable Peripheral Interfaces for Prosthetic Control awarded by U.S. DOD/Defense Advanced Research Proj 2012 - 2015
- Conference Support for Knowledge Transfer in Computational Neuroscience awarded by National Science Foundation 2011 - 2013
co-principal investigator on
- ADVANCE Institutional Transformation at FIU 2016-2021 awarded by National Science Foundation 2016 - 2021
- The Biomedical Engineering Lecture Series Endowment. awarded by Wallace H. Coulter Foundation 2011 - 2018
- Biomedical Engineering Distinguished Professorship in Bioinstrumentation and Biomeasurement awarded by Wallace H. Coulter Foundation 2011 - 2018
- Biomedical Engineering Excellence Scholarship Fund awarded by Wallace H. Coulter Foundation 2011 - 2018
- Biomedical Engineering Research Initiation Program. awarded by Wallace H. Coulter Foundation 2011 - 2018
- Graduate Fellowship in Biomedical Engineering Fund awarded by Wallace H. Coulter Foundation 2011 - 2018
- The Young Inventor Program Endowment awarded by Wallace H. Coulter Foundation 2011 - 2017
- Biomedical Engineering Excellence Fund. awarded by Wallace H. Coulter Foundation 2011 - 2017
- Cardiovascular Engineering Center Fund awarded by Wallace H. Coulter Foundation 2011 - 2017
- The Norman R. Weldon Biomedical Engineering Fellowship(s) Endowment awarded by Norman R. Weldon 2011 - 2017
- Ranu Jung
- https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2042-0638 (confirmed)
Recent publications and grants in Scholars@FIU
publication subject areas
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- General & Internal Medicine
- Neurosciences & Neurology
- Radiology, Nuclear Medicine & Medical Imaging
- Science & Technology - Other Topics
- Sport Sciences