- Dr. Maureen C. Kenny is trained as a clinical psychologist and spent the early part of her career working with abused children and their families. As part of a research team that examined the effects maltreatment and abuse had on children, she also worked to help these children heal from these traumatic experiences. Over time, she became involved in prevention efforts, first in the area of abuse reporting. Her efforts were spent educating mandated reporters of child abuse to identify, recognize and report abusive situations early so that intervention could be sought for the child, and healing could begin. With external funding from the Children's Trust of Miami-Dade County, she founded KLAS: Kids Learning About Safety, which provided safety education to preschoolers and their parents throughout Miami-Dade County. It was enormously rewarding to see how children learn rules about safety in a short period of time, while their parents are educated about ways to keep them safe. Presently, Dr. Kenny continues her efforts to educate the public and the university community about mandatory child abuse reporting roles. Her research focuses on marginalized populations, including ethnic minority youth, LGBTQ+ youth and victims of trauma. Dr. Kenny teaches psychology classes in person and online.
Scholarly & Creative Works
2017Implementation and program evaluation of trauma-informed care training across state child advocacy centers: An exploratory study. CHILDREN AND YOUTH SERVICES REVIEW. 73:15-23.
2017Legal and Clinical Guidelines for Making a Child Maltreatment Report. PROFESSIONAL PSYCHOLOGY-RESEARCH AND PRACTICE. 48:469-480.
2016Teaching preschoolers safety rules: A pilot study of injury prevention. CHILDRENS HEALTH CARE. 45:428-440.
2015Training Mental Health Professionals in Child Sexual Abuse: Curricular Guidelines. JOURNAL OF CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE. 24:572-591.
2015Training in Reporting of Child Maltreatment: Where We Are and Where We Need to Go. MANDATORY REPORTING LAWS AND THE IDENTIFICATION OF SEVERE CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT. 327-346.
2013Child Sexual Behavior Inventory: A Comparison Between Latino and Normative Samples of Preschoolers. JOURNAL OF SEX RESEARCH. 50:449-457.
2013Latino Parents' Plans to Communicate About Sexuality With their Children. JOURNAL OF HEALTH COMMUNICATION. 18:931-942.
2013Teaching General Safety and Body Safety Training Skills to a Latino Preschool Male with Autism. JOURNAL OF CHILD AND FAMILY STUDIES. 22:1092-1102.
2012Evaluation of a Personal Safety Program with Latino Preschoolers. JOURNAL OF CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE. 21:368-385.
2010Child sexual abuse education with ethnically diverse families: A preliminary analysis. CHILDREN AND YOUTH SERVICES REVIEW. 32:981-989.
2010Children's abilities to recognize a "good" person as a potential perpetrator of childhood sexual abuse. CHILD ABUSE & NEGLECT. 34:490-495.
2010Partnering with Parents to Prevent Childhood Sexual Abuse. CHILD ABUSE REVIEW. 19:130-152.
2009A Comparison of Counselling Students' Needs in the United States and Nigeria. AUSTRALIAN JOURNAL OF GUIDANCE AND COUNSELLING. 19:41-55.
2008Child Sexual Abuse: From Prevention to Self-Protection. CHILD ABUSE REVIEW. 17:36-54.
2008Emotional abuse in the classroom: Implications and interventions for counselors. JOURNAL OF COUNSELING AND DEVELOPMENT. 86:3-10.
2007Web-based training in child maltreatment for future mandated reporters. CHILD ABUSE & NEGLECT. 31:671-678.
2005The process and consequences of reporting child maltreatment: A brief overview for professionals in the mental health field. AGGRESSION AND VIOLENT BEHAVIOR. 10:311-331.
2012Preventing Childhood Sexual Abuse: An Ecological Approach INTRODUCTION. JOURNAL OF CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE. 361-367.
2016Technology-Related Sexual Solicitation of Adolescents: A Review of Prevention Efforts. CHILD ABUSE REVIEW. 332-344.
Child sexual abuse prevention
Mandatory reporting of child abuse
Latinx and child sexual abuse
Commercial sexual exploitation
principal investigator on
- KLAS: Kids Learning About Safety awarded by Children's Trust 2010 - 2011
- KLAS: Kids Learning About Safety awarded by Children's Trust 2009 - 2010
- Keeping Kids Safe. awarded by Children's Trust 2008 - 2009
- Keeping Kids Safe. awarded by Children's Trust 2007 - 2008
- Keeping kids safe. awarded by Children's Trust 2006 - 2007
- MHS6427-RVC: Adult Psychopathology Fall Term 2019
- MHS6427-RVC: Adult Psychopathology Spring Term 2019
- MHS6700-RVC: Ethical, Legal and Professional Issues in Counseling Spring Term 2019
- MHS6800-U03: Advanced Practicum in Counseling Fall Term 2019
- MHS6820-U01: Supervised Field Experience in Counseling Fall Term 2019
- MHS6910-U01: Directed Study in Counseling and School Psychology Fall Term 2019
- Maureen Kenny Winick
Recent publications and grants in Scholars@FIU
publication subject areas
- Criminology & Penology
- Family Studies
- Information Science & Library Science
- Public, Environmental & Occupational Health
- Social Sciences - Other Topics
- Social Work