Dr. Sumit K. Kundu is the James K. Batten Eminent Scholar Chair in International Business in the College of Business at Florida International University.
Dr. Kundu served as the Academic Director of the Masters of International Business program [2009-2019] and served as the Faculty Director of the Executive MBA program [August 2004-June 2008] and Ph.D Coordinator [August 2004-June 2009].
Dr. Kundu has taught several international business courses at both the graduate and undergraduate levels at Florida International University, Saint Louis University, State University of New York, Northeastern University, and Rutgers University. His extensive international experience includes teaching at Chulalongkorn University (Thailand), City University of Hong Kong (China), Saint Louis University Madrid Campus (Spain), and the Indian Institute of Management. Dr. Kundu has been the recipient of several teaching awards namely, Best Professor in Professional MBA program (2010), Best Professor in International MBA program (2007), Best Professor award in Masters in International Business program (July 2018, August 2016, 2015, December 2012, May 2012, 2011, 2006), Outstanding Teacher in Executive MBA program (2004), and Best Course award in Masters in International Business program (July 2018, 2012). Dr. Kundu was named Outstanding Graduate Teacher of the Year (2003), Teacher of the Year for Executive Masters in International Business program (2003), and Teacher of the Year for the full-time MBA program (2003) at Saint Louis University.
Dr. Kundu was appointed as a Consulting Editor for Journal of International Business Studies (January 2020 - December 2022), in March 2017 as the Associate Editor for Journal of Business Research, as Associate Editor for the Journal of International Management effective January 1st, 2019, also as a Board Member for the European International Business Academy (2017-2022) and served as Vice-President (Administration) for the Academy of International Business (2014-2017).
Dr. Kundu is a Fellow of Academy of International Business and a Fellow of Indian Academy of Management.
On the research front, Dr. Kundu sits on the editorial board of several premier journals, Journal of International Business Studies, Management International Review, Global Strategy Journal, Journal of World Business, International Business Review, Journal of International Management, Thunderbird International Business Review, Journal of Teaching in International Business and Cross-Cultural & Strategic Management: An International Journal and International Journal of Emerging Markets. Dr. Kundu has published several articles in prestigious journals, namely, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Management Studies, Management International Review, Journal of World Business, Journal of International Management, Journal of International Marketing, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Business Ethics, International Business Review, Leadership Quarterly and Journal of Small Business Economics.
He has served as a Chair and member on many dissertation committees. Dr. Kundu has presented numerous papers in the Academy of International Business Academy of Management, and Strategic Management Society conferences. He served as the track chair for its annual conference in Stockholm, Sweden in July 2004; Milan, Italy in June 2008; San Diego, California, USA in June 2009 and Nagoya, Japan in June 2011. Dr. Kundu organized the Junior Faculty Consortium at the annual Academy of International Business 2006 conference in Beijing, China and the Doctoral Consortium at the annual Academy of International Business 2012 conference in Washington DC. He has also served as the president and program chair for the Midwest Academy of International Business Conference in 2003 and 2002.
His corporate experience includes cash flow management at Phillips Petroleum PLC and international and domestic marketing at Fedders Lloyd PLC, and India Foils PLC. Dr. Kundu has been a consultant to several multinational corporations – Novartis, MasterCard International, Ingersoll Rand-Hussmann International, Boeing, CPI-Sears Portrait Studio and Wipro Limited.
- International Entrepreneurship; Internationalization of Service Industries; Emerging Market Multinational Corporations; Global Strategy and Alliances
Scholarly & Creative Works
Works By Students
chaired theses and dissertations
- Narayanan, Santhosh, Environmental Performance of Multinationals: A Comparative Study Based On Climate Change Strategy 2014
- Fernandez, Whitney G. Douglas, What Does Board Capital Really Bring to the Table? Exploring the Effect of Directors’ Human and Social Capital on Effective Governance During International Expansion 2014
- Zakaria, Rimi, Interdependencies in Corporate Development: Relationship between Strategic Alliance and Acquisition Activities 2013
- He, Wei, Essays of Strategic Alliance Portfolio Configuration— Its Performance Properties, Strategic Antecedents and Consequential Effects on Multinational Firms’ Continuing Foreign Expansion 2012
- Wernick, David A, Secondary Stakeholders as Agents of Influence: Three Essays on Political Risk, Reputation and Multinational Performance 2011
- Meyskens, Moriah A, How Do Partnerships Lead to a Competitive Advantage? Applying the Resource Based View to Nascent Social Ventures 2010
- Jain, Naveen K, Resource, Strategies, Location Determinants, And Host Country Location Choice By Emerging Market Firms 2009
- Renko, Anna-Maija, The role of market knowledge in recognizing and exploiting entrepreneurial opportunities in technology intensive firms 2008
- Sumit Kundu
- https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1718-2376 (confirmed)