- Dr. Sutherland has a broad background in cognitive neuroscience and specific training in drug abuse. He earned his B.A. in Psychology from Ohio University (2002) and his Ph.D. in Psychology/Cognitive Neuroscience from the University of New Mexico (2007). He earned an Intramural Research Training Award to conduct postdoctoral research involving a cognitive neuroscience perspective on drug abuse in the Neuroimaging Research Branch at the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA/NIH). He is currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology at FIU. Dr. Sutherland was recognized as a “Top Scholar” by FIU in 2015 and his research is currently funded by NIDA.
- Dr. Sutherland's research focuses on understanding the impact of drug abuse on human brain function. Specifically, his research aims to understand the brain mechanisms that contribute to continued drug use with specific emphasis on nicotine addiction, marijuana use, and attentional process. Towards this goal, Dr. Sutherland's research employs multiple neuroimaging tools (e.g., pharmacological, task-based and 'resting-state' functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), simultaneous EEG/fMRI) to identify potential biomarkers for diagnosis and tracking of disease progression, new targets for therapeutic interventions, and strategies for expediting the implementation of personalized treatment. Dr. Sutherland is currently applying his cognitive neuroscience and drug abuse background to better understand the consequences of marijuana use on the brain function of individuals living with HIV/AIDS. His research is funded by the National Institute of Drug Abuse/NIH.
Scholarly & Creative Works
2015Beyond Functional Localization. 472-502.
Other Scholarly Work
principal investigator on
co-principal investigator on
- Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD): FIU awarded by National Institute on Drug Abuse 2020 - 2027
- FIU Center for Reducing Health Disparities in Substance Abuse & HIV in South Florida awarded by Minority Health and Health Disparities 2018 - 2022
- FIU Center for Reducing Health Disparities in Substance Abuse & HIV in South Florida awarded by Minority Health and Health Disparities 2017 - 2022
- Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD): FIU awarded by National Institute on Drug Abuse 2015 - 2020
- Matthew Sutherland
- https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6091-4037 (confirmed)