Dr. Edgar Vieira is an Tenured Professor in the Department of Physical Therapy at Florida International University. He is the Editor in Chief of the journal "Physical & Occupational Therapy in Geriatrics".
Dr. Vieira's expertise is in risk assessment and prevention of aging-related mobility impairments, frailty and falls. His research program aims to help older adults to stay functionally independent by optimizing mobility, preventing frailty, falls and related injuries. His main expertise is in risk assessments and prevention of aging-related mobility impairments, frailty and falls.
Aside from his tenure at FIU, Dr. Vieira is an investigator at the Baptist Hospital of Miami and at the Miami VA Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center (GRECC), and a member of CDC’s Special Emphasis Review Panel.
Dr. Vieira has a BSs and an MSc in physical therapy and a PhD in rehabilitation science.
Dr. Vieira has experience in supervising graduate students and post-docs. He completed several projects and published more than 100 papers, which have been cited more than 3000 times.
In the last 5 years, Dr. Vieira had 13 funded projects by agencies such as the Florida Department of Health, and the Administration for Community Living (ACL-HHS). His research program aims to help older adults to stay functionally independent by optimizing mobility, preventing frailty, falls and related injuries.
Scholarly & Creative Works
principal investigator on
- Implementation of evidence-based fall-prevention programmes in the health care services: Quality, competency and effectiveness (FALLPREVENT) awarded by Research Council of Norway 2020 - 2023
- Implementing a Patient Centered, Low Intensity Exercise and Physical Activity Program to Improve Residents' Wellbeing, Physical and Psychological Function at Three VA Community Living Centers, Phase 1 awarded by U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs 2020 - 2021
- Baptist Health Neuroscience Center awarded by Baptist Health South Florida 2016 - 2020
- Developing an Age-Friendly Underline Park awarded by Urban Health Solutions 2018 - 2019
- State-wide Falls Prevention Initiative awarded by U.S. Department of Health & Human Servic 2014 - 2016
- Safe Steps Educational Program Analysis awarded by Alliance for Aging Inc 2014
- Safe Steps- Pasos Seguro Project awarded by Florida Department of Transportation 2013
co-principal investigator on
- Edgar Vieira
- https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1011-5077 (confirmed)
publication subject areas
- Cardiovascular System & Cardiology
- Endocrinology & Metabolism
- Environmental Sciences & Ecology
- General & Internal Medicine
- Geriatrics & Gerontology
- Health Care Sciences & Services
- Infectious Diseases
- Integrative & Complementary Medicine
- Medical Informatics
- Neurosciences & Neurology
- Nutrition & Dietetics
- Public, Environmental & Occupational Health
- Respiratory System
- Science & Technology - Other Topics
- Social Sciences - Other Topics
- Sport Sciences
- Tropical Medicine